Call For “Crossing Paths Conference” Participants
[Extended deadline for applications: Wed 4th of June, 10.00 CET]
Participation Fee: €25
We are pleased to announce the call for participants for the conference “Crossing Paths: Exploring Intersections within the Diversity of LGBTQ Communities” to take place in Bologna, Italy, from the 2nd to 6th of July, 2014. [with arrivals on evening July 1st and departures on July 6th.] The conference will gather 40 participants from across the pan-European region for the 4.5 day event.
The conference is organized in partnership with Arcigay Il Cassero from Italy. The event has been kindly supported by the European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe, Arcigay Il Cassero and the European Commission (DG Justice).
We will invite participants of the conference to examine the socio-political and economic mechanisms, which can contribute to social exclusion on institutional, community and societal levels, and the possibilities of systemic transformation.
We will examine the gaps in the delivery of inclusive services and policies in civil society and political institutions. Four expert run modules will be held focusing on themes of socio-economic statuses, genders, racial and ethnic identities and (dis)abilities.
One of the aims of the conference is to encourage participants to reflect upon the structures and values of their respective organisations and to look into ways of making their work more inclusive, reflecting the diversity and the broad range of experiences of LGBTQ people. The participants will be encouraged to discuss and come up with individual action plans to use in their own context.
Participants will broaden their understanding and knowledge on social inclusion and intersectional approaches, as well as learn from their peers about situations in other countries. Participants will be introduced to the concept of intersectionality, some of its uses in activism and will be encouraged to start reflecting on their own (organisation’s) practices.
Some of the planned outcomes of the conference are as follows:
- Gain a better understanding of intersectionality as a methodological tool in life/activism
- Explore the specific themes of socio-economic statuses, genders, (dis)abilities, and racial and ethnic identities to become more aware of diverse experiences
- Critically reflect on their own and organisation’s practices to increase inclusion
- Develop work plan / tools tailored to the need of their organisation/context/peers
Participants of the conference will:
- Have experience and/or motivation of working with LGBTQ youth within the sphere of intersectionality and social inclusion
- Have a desire to expand their understanding of how LGBTQ organisations can be more inclusive and cater for diverse communities within the LGBTQ umbrella
- Be open to share and reflect on personal experiences and learning from other participants
- Be able to attend no less than 80% of the conference (priority given to applicants who can attend the full conference programme)
- Be from a Council of Europe Member State,(we may be able to offer a very limited number of places to participants from other countries)
- Be able to work in English
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age
Costs and practical arrangements
All related expenses (travel, accommodation and catering) will be covered by IGLYO with the support of Arcigay Il Cassero. Travel expenses and visa costs will be reimbursed. Reimbursement will take place by bank transfer after the conference, upon presenting the receipts and tickets within an identified timeframe.
A participation fee of 25€ will be deducted from the reimbursement. IGLYO is aware of the various financial situations of LGBTQ youth organisations, so please do not hesitate to contact us if the participation fee is an obstacle to your participation; we will aim to find a solution together.
Interested candidates can apply by completing the application form below.
Please note that applications received after the set deadline will not be considered. The participants of the conference will be selected by the Prep Team of the conference. Successful candidates will be notified by June 9, 2014.
If you have any question, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.
If you experience any problems with the application form above, please click here.