April 11, 2014
April 11, 2014
Call For Preparatory Team Members
[Deadline for applications 26 April, 2014, midnight CET]
We are pleased to inform you that IGLYO is organizing the conference “Crossing Paths: Exploring Intersections within the Diversity of LGBTQ Communities” to take place in Bologna, Italy, from the 2nd – 6th July, 2014. [with arrivals on evening July 2 and departures late July 6 or early July 7] The conference will be organized in partnership with IGLYO’s Italian Member Organisation Arcigay Il Cassero. The event has been kindly supported by the European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe, Arcigay Il Cassero and the European Commission (DG Justice).
The conference will address the themes of intersectionality and social inclusion.
The conference pursues the following objectives:
– To equip conference delegates with knowledge on social inclusion, and intersectionality;
– Discuss obstacles to equal participation of LGBTQ young people with ethnic or language minority backgrounds, non-conforming gender identities, disability and young people coming from communities of less income;
– To share good practices and formulate a set of recommendations to combat social exclusion on institutional, community and societal level.
The Intersectionality & Social Inclusion conference will gather over 35 participants from across the pan-European region for the 4-day event held in Bologna, Italy.
We will invite participants of the conference to examine the socio-political and economic mechanisms, creating social exclusion on institutional, community and societal levels and the possibilities of systemic transformation.
We will examine the gaps in the delivery of inclusive services and inclusive policies in civil society and political institutions. The participants will be encouraged to discuss and come up with set of recommendations, actions to fill those gaps in policy and in practice. One of the aims of the conference is to encourage participants to reflect upon the structures and values of their respective organisations and to look into ways of making their work more inclusive, reflecting the diversity and the broad range of experiences of LGBTQ people.
Conference will be giving an opportunity for participants to develop competence on social inclusion and multiple discrimination policy contexts on European and national levels, as well as learn from their peers about situations in other countries. Using non-formal education methods and expert facilitated sessions, participants will be learning more about the role of intersectionality in the lived experiences of others.
Some of the planned outcomes of the conference are as follows:
– Greater understanding of how intersections between gender identity and expression, sexuality, race and ethnicity, disability and class work
– Increased awareness of how LGBTQ organisations can be more inclusive and cater for truly diverse communities within the LGBTQ umbrella
– Improved links and partnership opportunities between LGBTQ organisations and other equalities organisations
We have opened this call for four preparatory team members to help plan, organize and facilitate this conference. The team will be led by an IGLYO Board member and supported by the IGLYO Secretariat.
The preparatory team has the following responsibilities:
– Work within the themes, identify methods of facilitation for each session within the conference program using both non-formal and formal methodology;
– Select participants on the basis of the given selection criteria;
– Coordinate the running of the event with the rest of the team, including daily reflection groups;
– Ensure a good cohesion and flow among different program elements;
– Implement the program by facilitating/moderating workshops and chairing plenary sessions;
– Write the conference report and evaluation;
– Maintain follow-up work after the conference to identify progress made by participants in their own countries.
Prep Team Member will be:
– Fluent in English (the conference working language will be English.);
– Experienced in working with LGBTQ youth within the sphere of intersectionality and social inclusion.
– Experienced in leading non-formal education workshops and activities and be a confident facilitator;
– Between 18 and 30 years of age;
– Available from May 23 till May 26 for the preparatory team meeting in Italy and from 30 of Jun till 6 of July for the conference;
– Responsive and available for a high volume of teamwork before and after the event, mostly by email and Skype;
– Ready to provide a reasonable amount of preparation work before the event, mostly by e-mail and over Skype (between c. 1 and 8 hours a week as the event approaches);
– Motivated to work in a stimulating, challenging and fun environment of young queer people!
Candidates will be selected based on geographical balance, gender balance, and a good reflection of the LGBTQ diversity. All related expenses (travel, accommodation and DSA) will be covered.
Interested candidates can apply by completing the application form below.
Please note that applications received after the set deadline will not be considered. The preparatory team members will be selected by the IGLYO Executive Board. Successful candidates will be notified by April 29, 2014.
If you have any question, please don’t hesitate to contact us
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.
The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer & Intersex (LGBTQI) Youth and Student Organisation
This website has been produced with the financial support of the Dutch Ministry of Education Culture & Science and the Rights Equality and Citizenship (REC) programme 2014-2020 of the European Union.
The contents of this website are the sole responsibility of IGLYO and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the Dutch Ministry or the European Commission.
Website by Haiwyre