IGLYO is pleased to announce its recruitment of intern/s to contribute to the efforts of IGLYO’s 2012 Workplan. We look forward to welcoming one or more interns into the world of advocating for LGBTQ young people throughout the pan-European region!
Interested applicants should submit their application consisting of three documents: CV, one-page cover letter and one recommendation letter. Please indicate an estimated start date and the desired length of the internship placement. IGLYO will give preference to applicants who can commit to a period of eight to twelve weeks, though this period is negotiable.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Internship at IGLYO 2012”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Unfortunately, IGLYO cannot offer a remuneration scheme for the internship placement. Therefore, interested candidates should have an educational scholarship or fellowship or be sponsored by a private institution. The internship is contingent on proving external funding.
Any costs incurred during the internship will be reimbursed (e.g., travel and accommodation to IGLYO events). It is likely that IGLYO will be able to contribute a small amount for daily travel within Brussels.
Outline of the tasks/interest areas for the internship at IGLYO
The intern would support Secretariat of IGLYO based on the current Workplan for 2012. Key activities will include:
- Monitoring relevant policy developments within the European institutions and national governments
- Support in drafting factsheets and/or policy position papers
- Attending and reporting on external meetings
- Supporting in the design of conferences and relevant meetings
- Supporting the administrative and logistical work related to IGLYO events
- Assist in the implementation of a capacity building training for IGLYO member organizations
- Contribute to the drafting of newsletters
- Assist in website maintenance, including updating news items and social media sites
- Assist the staff of the Secretariat in the daily running of the office
Due to the diverse Workplan of IGLYO, we have some flexibility in the tasks that intern could perform. We will try to design the activities of the internship placement to best meet the prospective intern’s topics of interest and skills.
Please use your cover letter to address the specific areas to which you can contribute.
- Excellent command of English language; oral and writing skills
- Commitment to the goals of the IGLYO
- A knowledge of, or willingness to learn, about the issues affecting LGBTQ young people
- Diligence, accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, communication skills
- Self-motivated and ability to meet deadlines
- Sense of humor and a positive attitude
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about the European institutions
- Knowledge of anti-discrimination policies relating to sexual orientation and gender identity
- Experience in policy research and analysis
- Willingness to work in coalitions with other equality networks
- Undergraduate/Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, politics, international relations, communications, or information management. Those pursuing advanced degrees are also encouraged to apply.
Currently, IGLYO has a secretariat located in the European Quarter of Brussels that is staffed by two people, an Office Manager and a Programmes & Policy Officer. The secretariat supports an eight-person Executive Board that is located throughout the pan-European region.
IGLYO wishes to create more opportunities for young peoples’ participation and self-development in the organizational setting. Therefore, we see this internship placement very much as an opportunity for young people to experience the international LGBTQ movement, developing skills and knowledge on the topics of human rights, LGBTQ rights, health, education, intercultural and inter-religious dialogue, and international advocacy.
IGLYO does not discriminate and encourages those from minority and vulnerable groups to apply. People from all under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
IGLYO supports the European Quality Charter on Internships and Apprenticeships. Charter can be found here: http://qualityinternships.eu/ .