June 27, 2012
June 27, 2012
Keep the Faith: promoting inter-religious and inter cultural dialogue in the LGBTQ youth sector, Brussels, Belgium, October 31-November 5, 2012
We are pleased to inform you that IGLYO is organizing the conference “Keep the Faith: promoting inter-religious and inter cultural dialogue in the LGBTQ youth sector” to take place in Belgium from October 31 till November 5, 2012. The conference will be organized in partnership with IGLYO’s Belgian member We Jong Niet Hetero (Young But Not Hetero). The event has been kindly supported by the European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe.
The conference will address the themes of intercultural & inter-religious dialogue (ICIRD) and LGBTQ youth.
The event pursues the following objectives:
• Provide an understanding of ICIRD,
• Promote dialogue between IGLYO’s member organizations and various cultural/religious groups,
• Share the best practices in the field of ICIRD,
• Create a network and alliances with cultural and religious groups, organizations, individuals and experts to better promote ICIRD through IGLYO’s work,
• Empower LGBTQ youth to launch dialogue with religious/faith-based institutions and establish alliances to fight religion/faith-based homo/bi/transphobia.
We have an opening for two preparatory team members to help plan, organize and facilitate this conference. The team will consist in total of six people (1 IGLYO board member, 3 members of IGLYO’s ICIRD Working Group and two external people to be included in the preparatory team), taking into consideration the gender and geographical balance in the team.
The preparatory team has the following responsibilities:
• Working within the themes, identify methods of facilitation for each session within the conference program using both nonformal and some formal methodology;
• Select participants on the basis of given selection criteria;
• Coordinate the running of the event with the rest of the team, including daily reflection group;
• Ensure a good cohesion and flow between different program elements;
• Implement the program by facilitating/moderating workshops and chairing plenary sessions;
• Writing the conference report and evaluation.
• Maintain follow up work after the conference to identify progress made by participants in their own country
The ideal candidates should:
• Be fluent in English (the study session’s working language will be English.)
• Have experience of LGBTQ youth work;
• Have experience with intercultural/inter-religious (we are particularly interested in people with experience in intersectionality work, working with religious/faith-based organizations and national, ethnic, cultural, religious and sexual/gender minority youth)
• Have experience in leading non-formal education workshops and activities and be a confident facilitator;
• Be between 18 and 30 years old;
• Be available from August 5 to August 7 for the preparatory team meeting in Brussels and from October 30 to November 5 for the conference.
• Be responsive and available for teamwork before and after the event, mostly by email and skype.
• Be ready to provide a reasonable amount of preparation work before the event, mostly by e-mail and over Skype (between c. 1 and 8 hours a week as the event approaches);
• Be motivated to work in a stimulating, challenging and fun environment of young queer people!
Candidates will be selected on the basis of geographical balance, gender balance, and a good reflection of LGBTQ diversity. All related expenses (travel, food and accommodation) will be covered.
Interested candidates can apply by sending their CV/resume and a motivation letter to the IGLYO ICIRD Working Group Coordinator Zara Shushanyan (email@example.com), presenting yourself, your previous experience on the issue and/or in IGLYO events and your availability for the preparatory meeting.
Please, describe in your motivation letter (not more than 500 words):
• why you are interested in this particular event
• what qualifies you to be a preparatory team member
• what expectations you have from the study session and
• your relevant skills and experiences
We strongly encourage members of any minorities to apply. If you have any question, please don’t hesitate to contact us. The nominated candidates will be considered by the IGLYO Board. Successful candidates will be notified by July 1, 2012.
The deadline for sending CVs/resumes with the motivation letters is June 24, 2012 (12:00 am CET). Please, note that applications received after the set deadline will not be considered.
The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer & Intersex (LGBTQI) Youth and Student Organisation
This website has been produced with the financial support of the Dutch Ministry of Education Culture & Science and the Rights Equality and Citizenship (REC) programme 2014-2020 of the European Union.
The contents of this website are the sole responsibility of IGLYO and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the Dutch Ministry or the European Commission.
Website by Haiwyre