IGLYO and Transgender Europe (TGEU) are delighted to announce the call for participants for the Study Session “Equality in Action: Mobilising LGBTQ youth around the Council of Europe Recommendation on measures to combat discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity”. The Study Session is organised by IGLYO and TGEU in cooperation with the Youth Department of the Council of Europe.
The Study Session will take place in the European Youth Center in Strasbourg from 22nd to 28th of September 2013.
Deadline for applications: 4th of August, 2013 (midnight CET)
Please apply by completing the online application form: http://bit.ly/184LBpx
Please also complete the anonymous diversity monitoring form: http://svy.mk/12qqd8G
Study Session objectives
The Study Session will explore the Recommendation CM/Rec(2010)5 of the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers to Member States on measures to combat discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity, the process of its implementation by member states, and opportunities for young LGBTQ activists to engage in first-hand advocacy activity around it.
In particular, participants of the Study Session will pursue the following objectives:
– Gain understanding of the process behind the Committee of Ministers Recommendation on measures to combat Homophobia and Transphobia;
– Get engaged and mobilised in taking ownership in monitoring and advocating for these measures in their national contexts;
– Gain knowledge of the provisions dealing with LGBTQ young people specifically, sharing LGTBQ youth perspective and experiences of the unique experiences in the areas discussed in the document;
– Become equipped to multiply activities to further monitoring of the implementation of the Recommendation in home countries.
The Study Session will gather 35 young individuals from Council of Europe member states willing to discuss, experience and participate in activities addressing LGBTQ equality.
The participants of the Study Session will be:
– Interested in international human rights frameworks
– Committed to develop their competency in LGBTQ equality advocacy
– Able to act as multiplier in their home community and community
– Active in the LGBTQ community in their country, with preference given to IGLYO and TGEU Member Organisations
– Between 18 and 30 years of age
– From a Council of Europe Member State (we may be able to offer a very limited number of places to participants from other countries)
– Able to attend the full Study Session programme
– Willing to work in a non-formal environment and contribute to an overall positive, inclusive atmosphere
IGLYO and TGEU are open to consider accepting more than one person per organisation. We encourage applicants from all ethnic, cultural, migrant and ability backgrounds to apply, as well as all socio-economic situations, and of course, all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
The Study Session will be conducted in English. You do not need to be fluent in English, but please note that no translation will be provided.
IGLYO and TGEU emphasise a participatory approach to learning, utilising e-learning and non-formal education methods as promoted by the Youth Department of the Council of Europe, as well as other human rights education organisations. This Study Session will also contain a limited number of more formal sessions from outside resource persons, though the primary approach will be activity-based and participant-centered.
Costs and practical arrangements
Travel expenses and visa fees for the Study Session in Strasbourg are reimbursed according to the rules of the Council of Europe upon presenting the original receipts, tickets, invoices etc. Only the participants who attend the entire Study Session course can be reimbursed. The payment will be made in cash during the Study Session or by bank transfer after the event (please not that bank transfers can take several weeks).
Board and lodging for Study Session participants will be provided by the European Youth Centre in Strasbourg, which ensures a safe and accessible space for everyone.
A participation fee of 50 Euros is payable by each participant. This amount will be deducted from the amount to be reimbursed for travel expenses or paid at the EYCS during the Study Session.
Participant selection process
The preparatory team will review all completed applications. Participants will be selected upon the motivation and on how well they meet the criteria of the participant profile above.
Successful applicants will be notified by email by the 8th of August.
Interested candidates can apply by filling in the online Application Form. Upon completion of the Application Form, please also fill out IGLYO’s diversity monitoring form. You will help us ensure that we reach as many LGBTQ young people from diverse backgrounds as possible!
Deadline for applications: 4th of August, 2013.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.