Because of changes in the Executive Board of IGLYO, we are looking for a new Board Member to co-opt for the remainder of 2012 mandate. Specifically, we are looking for the new board member to fill the position of Communications Officer. The deadline to submit a candidate for consideration will be midday 12.00 (CET) Wednesday, the 5th of September 2012.
The position is available immediately and the mandate will last until the next General Assembly, which will be held in December 2012. This is in accordance with the Statutes accepted at the General Assembly 2011, which changed the procedures for co-opting board members. The co-opted board member can run as a candidate for a open Board vacancy at the GA. The board hopes that the candidate intends to run for the following mandate.
Although being a Board Member involves no financial or material remuneration, all costs incurred will be reimbursed. We view the position as an exciting opportunity to develop your own skills and knowledge and to work as part of an enthusiastic team, running and international LGBTQ organisation.
Summary of the work
A Board Member in IGLYO undertakes a broad range of tasks that vary due to the flexible nature of the work the organisation does. Such work can range from fundraising to project development and implementation, to advocating for LGBTQ youth issues in the pan-European region. As Communications Officer, the board member will play an integral role in the Board’s work and in ensuring that information is shared effectively with member organisations and other key stakeholders. A breakdown of possible tasks and responsibilities can be found below.
The Board’s Communications Officer
• Develops IGLYO’s Communications Strategy overseeing implementation;
• Develops other communication tools, e.g. Guide for External Representations;
• Has the main responsibility for IGLYO’s homepage and the organisation’s visibility in social media;
• Moderates the LGBTQ Youth World Mailing List on a daily basis;
• Compiles IGLYO’s newsletters;
• Keeps an eye on other organisations’ mailing lists and keeps the Board and Member Organisations updated on interesting news;
• Coordinates IGLYO’s story contributions to LGBT Supports (www.lgbtsupports.com);
• Is a proficient writer in English.
General tasks for all Board Members
• Organising international LGBTQ events
• Continuously developing the internal work of IGLYO and that of Member Organisations
• Attending internal Board meetings (both online and in person) and key international events, where possible political lobbying can take place
• Functions as IGLYO’s contact person to one or several partner organisations and attends their events and meetings
• Looking into key initiatives in the development of LGBTQ youth activism in Europe
• Developing the current IGLYO membership base
• Continuing to monitor the situation of LGBT Youth politics in Europe
• Assisting other Board Members in their tasks, when necessary.
The list is open, but this is a taste of all the work that a Board Member is responsible for during their mandate within the IGLYO Board.
Requirements and required skills or knowledge
• Statutory obligations
• Be supported by one of IGLYO’s Member Organisations
• Be under 30 years of age
• Have experience in LGBTQ activism
• Be able to provide around 10 hours of work per week on average, mainly spent on writing e-mails (skills such as responsiveness are necessary!) and working on specific projects (e.g. organisation of a conference, filling in application forms, online Board meetings, etc.)
• Be able to work in English
• Be able to travel once every two months on average (all travel and subsistence costs will be covered)
• Having access to a computer and Internet on a daily basis.
Optional skills or knowledge
• Being outspoken
• Having knowledge or experience of national or European NGOs
• Having knowledge of social media platforms
• Having previously participated in IGLYO activities
• Being quick to react and optimistic!
Why you want to be a Board Member of IGLYO
• A unique opportunity to work at the forefront of LGBTQ youth and student activism, internationally
• Working in a motivated and inspiring team
• Both get to help develop our Member Organisations and learn and grow a lot yourself!
• Get loads of good karma and a nice contribution to your CV.
If you are interested
…then we would love to hear from you! Applications must comprise of the following three (3) separate documents:
1. Your CV. It should particularly highlight your past activities as an activist, your present occupation, your qualifications for the position of Communications Officer as well as anything else that matters to you;
2. A motivation letter explaining how you came to know IGLYO, why you would be a good candidate and what you would like to achieve as a Board member;
3. A letter from an IGLYO member organisation stating that they support your application.
Questions? We’re very happy to receive questions from potential applicants. Please e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will get back to you quickly.
Please send your applications to email@example.com, the deadline is Wednesday, 5th of September 12.00 CET.
Please write “Board Member Application” and your name as the e-mail subject.
We’re looking forward to hearing from motivated candidates!